Friday Fifteen with Friends: Johanna Grange
Published: July 29th, 2016
Johanna Grange is one of the most well heeled bloggers in the city. Her blog, “101 Things I Love” is a cornucopia of great style ideas and interest pieces. Of course, you can find her at most high visibility events about town. In addition, she recently launched Oak Street Social – a social media company that helps lifestyle clients all around Chicago. A stylin’ woman, and this week’s subject of Friday 15 with Friends.
Name: Johanna Grange
Occupation: Co-Founder of Oak St. Social/social media consultant & blogger @ 101 things I love.
Best known for: Bright lips
1. Antique or modern? A steady mix of both
2. What has inspired or informed your interior style? Maturity. You laugh but it’s true. I used to be drawn to bold and bright and now I want zen. Neutrals allow for versatility when you get bored and everything flows. When I walk into my bedroom and living rooms, for example, I just feel a sense of calm.
3. Which colors do you use most? Grey and white. My whole house has this base theme and I just build upon it. Every room flows.
4. Favorite materials or textures? Accent pieces are my jam. All the rooms in my house have a touch of metallic. I still need the glam despite being a mom of two. Whether it’s a gold chandelier or a bronze figurine…metallics are the icing on the proverbial cake. And I love Lucite but it can be expensive.
5. How do you make your home double as a work space? I think you have to allocate one room and make it your creative space. With a door. A door is a must! I have boards with all sorts of creative inspo and essential oils for high stress situations. I also flank my office with pictures from past travels. Makes me look up and smile.
6. What household item could you not live without? My new sectional. I’m so excited about it! It’s a c-curve, white tufted couch. I’m obsessed. A little nervous that it’s white but we are going to set some strict guidelines with the kids.
7. What household items are a necessity to host a great party? Oh I love this topic. Gold flatware, vintage glassware and gorgeous blooms. Instant glam.
8. Tips for hosting at home? I love shopping for parting gifts. I always have a little treat for my guests upon departure. It’s just a sweet little touch.
9. Which design website, TV show, or magazine would you be lost without? Rue and Jeff Lewis. Guilty pleasure. I would love to work with him/for him one day. I think he is one wicked smart entrepreneur.
10. Design rule you love to break? Mixing metallics. I adore gold and silver intertwined.
11. What is your favorite room in you home? My bedroom…anywhere I can sleep.
12. What is your most treasured possession? My grandmother’s glassware. It’s antique but I have the most amazing coupe glasses and aperitif glassware. So dainty and feminine.
13. What is your favorite thing about Chicago—design-related or otherwise? The architecture. This is a city that really holds onto the past and the present and I love to look up and appreciate it all.
14. To which city or country would you move for the design? Cliché but Paris all day long.
15. How would you describe your style? Clean, eclectic + happy!