Friday Fifteen with Friends: Mary Pat Wallace
Published: August 29th, 2016
The words “luxury” and “beds” go so well together, don’t you think? Mary Pat Wallace really sells that concept in her wonderful store, Chicago Luxury Beds. What could be more luxurious than the perfect night’s sleep? It all makes sense when Mary Pat explains this to her discerning consumers through thoughtfully designed high-end Swedish bedding. Her sense of style and support for the design industry are also noteworthy, including the annual Dreaming of Design fundraising event held at her beautiful River North store. These, along with her passion for art and Chicago architecture, distinctly qualify her to be this week’s subject of our Friday Fifteen with Friends. Enjoy!
Mary Pat Wallace
Chicago Luxury Beds Founder
Name: Mary Pat Wallace
Occupation: Founder of Chicago Luxury Beds
Best known for: My passion for great sleep. At Chicago Luxury Beds, we offer clients everything they need for the most comfortable, luxurious night sleep: all-natural and organic mattresses, luxury linens and bespoke pillows for supreme comfort.
1. Antique or modern? More modern than antique, but I definitely like to mix antique pieces into a space to add depth and dimension.
2. What has inspired or informed your interior style? I started my career in the design industry over 30 years ago at Holly Hunt, where I travelled the country touring manufacturing facilities searching for new product lines for HH to carry. That’s where I developed my appreciation for quality materials and craftsmanship.
3. Which colors do you use most? Hastens signature blue and white check, of course! Also, light, natural colors like blues, greens and taupe, as well as bold, dark colors like charcoal.
4. Favorite materials or textures? Natural, breathable materials like horsehair, cotton, white Siberian down and silk.
5. How do you make your home double as a work space? My number one key is to leave your laptop and cell phone outside the bedroom! When you work in your bed, it throws your circadian rhythm off and makes it harder for your body to know to sleep when in bed.
6. What household item could you not live without? My Hastens 2000T bed! Sleep is the number one thing to impact your day. Your mattress, pillows and linens are all key factors in your quality of sleep.
7. What household items are necessities to host a great party? A high quality audio system, great lighting, festive barware and fresh flowers.
8. Tips for hosting at home? Staying organized and keeping a realistic schedule if you’re cooking yourself. If not, a great bartender and talented caterer!
9. Which design website, TV show, or magazine would you be lost without? One Kings Lane, 1st Dibbs, Luxe Interiors + Design and HGTV.
10. Design rule you love to break? Never follow any rules!
11. What is your favorite room in you home? My bedroom – its an oasis at the end of a busy day.
12. What is your most treasured possession? My art collection.
13. What is your favorite thing about Chicago—design-related or otherwise? The architecture and the people – both constantly inspire me.
14. To which city or country would you move for the design? Italy, without a doubt. I lived there in my 20s and always love to go back to visit for good food, design inspiration and relaxation.
15. How would you describe your style? Classic and comfortable.