Friday Fifteen with Friends: Lindsay Segal
Published: June 10th, 2016
Lindsay Segal is the co-founder of Luxury Garage Sale – Chicago’s upscale consignment boutique that specializes in selling new and gently used designer and vintage clothing and accessories. With a background in fashion, she has created a curated designer retail experience and consignment boutique rolled into one. She is also a woman of strong opinions and great style who understands that design should tell a story, “usually… quite loud!” Congrats to Lindsay and the Luxury Garage Sale team for recently raising $5 million to expand their business into new markets! Her impact makes her this week’s subject of Friday 15 with Friends.
Luxury Garage Sale
Name: Lindsay Segal
Occupation: Co-Founder of Luxury Garage Sale
Best known for: Designer Consignment Shopping
1. Antique or modern? Modern
2. What has inspired or informed your interior style? My mom. She has an eclectic eye and I grew up in a house with the most interesting artwork and antique pieces.
3. Which colors do you use most? Black and white with gold and silver accents.
4. Favorite materials or textures? I love velvet, and cannot pass up a good mongolian fur pillow or rug.
5. How do you make your home double as a work space? We have an office that I hardly use. I work late into the evening, and that usually involves me sitting on my sectional with my computer on my lap.
6. What household item could you not live without? My Cuisinart. Is that weird!? I make a lot of pasta and I am always using it to make dough and sauces.
7. What household items are a necessity to host a great party? Some great bottles of wine- and some good apps!
8. Tips for hosting at home? If I am hosting a dinner party, I usually try to cook a meal that can be prepped ahead of time so I am not stuck in the kitchen cooking while my guests are socializing.
9. Which design website, TV show, or magazine would you be lost without? I used to be obsessed with Domino Magazine. But then it folded and now is back intermittently. I get a ton of my inspiration from perusing Instagram. I always seem to stumble on the coolest account and screen shot things that inspire me!
10. Design rule you love to break? I mix a ton of different pieces from all different decades. I really don’t follow rules. I love mixing tons of patterns and probably use too much black + white— but I like it, and it makes me happy to come home to.
11. What is your favorite room in you home? Master bedroom. This is the most sophisticated room in our house, and feels the most “adult”. It is a calming room and I am always feel relaxed when I look around.
12. What is your most treasured possession? My closet. Duh! Owning a luxury consignment business is so much fun because I am able to work among amazing gems all day long. I love rare vintage pieces- and we see so many beautiful finds come through LGS. I try not to hoard them all!
13. What is your favorite thing about Chicago—design-related or otherwise? Trying new restaurants. Chicago has such an amazing restaurant scene and something always seems to be popping up that I am wanting to try. It is really exciting if you are a person who loves dining out!
14. To which city or country would you move for the design? Although Italy is my favorite country, if I was going to move for design it would have to be to NYC or Paris.
15. How would you describe your style? My house is a mix of hollywood regency mixed with great 70’s brass + chrome pieces. My personal style is hard to pin point- I am super eclectic. I love prints and patterns, but cannot resist a giant gold necklace and pair of earrings that weighs me down. I love pieces that tell a story and usually those are quite loud 🙂