Friday Fifteen with Friends: Rob Royer
Published: May 27th, 2016
Rob Royer is the Founder and CEO of Interior Define, a Chicago-based e-commerce company selling highly customizable sofas along with other furnishings and accents. Coming from 2 generations of designers and architects, Rob is particular about design, quality and service and committed to making great furniture affordable. That qualifies him as this week’s Friday Fifteen with Friends.
Name: Rob Royer
Occupation: Founder, Interior Define
Best known for: husband to Monica+Andy founder Monica Royer, and father to an exuberant five-year-old girl
1. Antique or modern? Modern, paired with rustic accents.
2. What has inspired or informed your interior style? Growing up in Santa Fe, NM with an architect dad and interior designer mom. Some of the most beautiful, well-collected homes / interiors I have seen are in Santa Fe. Living there definitely inspired my interest in design, and continues to inform my interior style.
3. Which colors do you use most? I prefer neutrals (e.g. mid-tone greys and natural linens) for staple upholstered furniture, and rustic reds and rich blues as warm accent colors.
4. Favorite materials or textures? I love I/D’s Pebble Weave upholstery fabric. It is even better when upholstered on a modern frame, and paired with a vintage Kilim or Dhurrie rug.
5. How do you make your home double as a work space? I have difficulty integrating work space at home. I prefer to keep home and work-spaces separate (when possible).
6. What household item could you not live without? Our (Interior Define) sofa. Shameless plug, but we spend an outsized percentage of time at home living on our sofa.
7. What household items are a necessity to host a great party? A well-staged seating area (regardless of seating type), good lighting, and simple glass and tableware.
8. Tips for hosting at home? Relax, and have fun.
9. Which design website, TV show, or magazine would you be lost without? There are so many options, but a few sites I follow: MyDomaine, Design Milk, Design Sponge, Apartment Therapy
10. Design rule you love to break? Using sectionals, or larger sofas in smaller spaces. A well-configured sectional can ultimately make a space feel larger – even tighter spaces.
11. What is your favorite room in you home? Tie: living room and bedroom.
12. What is your most treasured possession? I have an antique, brass ship clock that belonged to my grandfather. It reminds me of grandparents, and it’s a cool accent piece.
13. What is your favorite thing about Chicago—design-related or otherwise? The distinct character of Chicago’s neighborhoods.
14. To which city or country would you move for the design? London. There are so many great examples of modern architecture and interiors throughout the city, but always in uniquely close proximity to its historic architecture and landmarks.
15. How would you describe your style? Timeless-modern, with rustic accents.